The Classical teachings of Yoga arose in a time of patriarchal rule, with a masculine perspective for a male audience, to the exclusion of women. And yet out of an estimated 18 million practitioners in the world today, most of them are women. How does this powerful gender shift in the users and teachers of yoga impact the continued flowering of the practice of yoga?
The Feminine Face of Yoga embraces the corporeal experiences of emotion, gut intuition, sensuality and embodiment, while building on the masculine path of intellect, renunciation and transcendence as a path to Freedom. This integrated view may even provide answers to the global environmental and political crisis we all face.
Join us this weekend to explore the feminine principle that is at the heart of the Yogic Teachings. During this weekend we will:
- Review the Foundational Philosophies of Yoga
- Explore the pre-historical feminine roots of Yoga
- Discuss some of the essential expressions of the feminine in yoga
- Experience the wisdom and potency of the feminine as celebrated in the Tantric texts that include the Vijnanabhairava, the Spandakarika
- Uncover feminine variations of practices from the Yoga Sutras
- Build a vision for the future of yoga that embraces both the masculine & feminine
- Practice BodySensing-Hatha Yoga, Breath Sensing-Pranayama, iRest Yoga Nidra & Meditation
Anne Douglas is a teacher of teachers. She has been teaching yogic philosophy, teacher trainings, workshops and retreats since 1989, and is a certified IAYT yoga therapist. She is the creator of the “iRest Daily” meditation program and past Director of Trainers for the iRest Institute. Anne’s boundless enthusiasm, depth of wisdom and gentle humour create fertile ground for inspired learning.