Learning to practice and teach pranayama in one weekend is like learning to practice and teach asana in a weekend—impossible. This seven-month training involves telephone conference calls every other week, one weekend workshop mid-way through the training, and one weekend workshop at the end. During the training you will learn basic pranayama techniques and many beginning to intermediate variations upon them. Most importantly, you will learn to sequence techniques for different purposes and different effects. Some of those effects are energetic (stimulating, calming, downward flowing, upward flowing, centered in and illuminating specific points or landmarks in the energy body) and some of them are self-revelatory in terms of spiritual practice (stimulating different parts of the brain in preparation for meditation, meditations on the breath, heightening prana for spiritual development). Many of the variations introduced here are not commonly taught and a consistent pranayama practice is necessary to approach them.
Before each phone conference you will read and prepare an assigned section of the course manual, and then during the call Linda will lead the assigned practice and discuss it with you. You will spend the next two weeks practicing it yourself, and, toward the end of the two week period, teaching it to another person or to a class. It will be short enough to teach at the beginning or end of an asana class or you can teach it to family or friends. Some of the more advanced techniques are suitable for your practice only, but not for those without a regular pranayama practice, and you won’t be expected to teach them.
Midway through the program, we’ll meet for a weekend to talk about sequencing the techniques learned thus far, and we’ll meet for a final weekend to put it all together and work with one another to hone our skills.
- Attendance on the one-hour conference calls; the calls will be taped so that you can listen to them if you miss them, but you must be present on all but 4 phone calls during the course of the program
- A 20 minute, self-led pranayama practice, 6 days a week
- Teaching the assigned technique at least once every two weeks
- Attendance at the weekend workshops
- Required reading Pranayama: A Compendium of Practice by Linda Oshins
- Pranayama: A Compendium of Practices by Linda Oshins, available through the Yoga on High bookstore.
- The first set of phone calls (you attend one of a possible two sessions on the same subject) is on February 7 and 11; calls take place on Wednesdays and Sundays every two weeks from February 7 through the end of the program. There are 12 (each topic offered twice is 24 calls) phone calls in all. To graduate you must attend 8 of the 12 and listen to recordings of the calls you miss. Wednesday calls are at 3:30p and Sunday calls are at 4:00p.
- June 2 & 3, in-person workshop, Saturday 9:00a to 5:00p; Sunday, 9:00a to 1:00p
- August 18 & 19, in-person final workshop; Saturday, 9:00a to 5:00p and Sunday, 9:00a to 1:00p
Wednesday calls 3:30p
Sunday calls 4:00p
|Sat/Sun||6/2 & 6/3||Weekend|
|Sat/Sun||8/18 & 8/19||Final weekend|
Other topics are covered in the weekend workshops.
This is eligible for 20 hours of credit toward the 300 hour certification at Yoga on High.
$547.00 due by February 1, 2018, or 9 monthly payments of $66.12 beginning February 1, 2018.
Resitting the course for those who would like to take is multiple times: $250.00.
For more information please contact Linda Oshins at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 614-291-4444.